Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Home is Where the Job Is Cont.

Mothering Magazine
"Home is Where the Job Is" by Laura Ulrich March April, 2009
Continued review and comments…

- The writer explains the many childcare solutions available to WAHMs. I'm very blessed that my sister has a very flexible schedule and I can ask her to watch my daughter while I have a meeting. My husband is also very supportive and will take over toddler duties so that I can make a phone call or finish any emails.

- I love this point, "Most adults who have spent their careers working outside their homes are used to workdays that last an uninterrupted eight hours. When you work at home with children, it's imperative to learn a different way to work that allows for interruptions. The biggest challenge can simply be staying present: giving your child your full attention when a pile of work is screaming for your attention."

Yes, there are many days when I wish I could have a few hours of uninterrupted work time. I absolutely relish long naps. However, I have adapted to interrupted working conditions. I have to adjust when I lose an hour of work in the morning because my daughter decides to make it an "early bird" day. I've checked emails while waiting for a pot of water to boil. I do quick email scans when we come home from the library or grocery store but I can't quite sit down and tend to any serious projects. I'm getting pretty good wearing my various hats: work hat, mom hat, wife hat, etc.

No comments: