Thursday, December 31, 2009

Dumbest Excuses for Not Blogging

Reprinted from "The Publicity Hound's Tips of the Week," an ezine featuring tips, tricks and tools for generating free publicity. Subscribe at http://www.publicityhound.com/ and receive by email the handy cheat sheet "89 Reasons to Send a Press Release."

If you aren't blogging yet, or you've stopped blogging, you can't use these three excuses:

--It takes too much time.

--I don't know what to say.

--Nobody comments at my blog.

Let's address them one by one.

Of course it takes time. But if I had to choose just one social media tool, I'd probably choose a blog. It positions you as an expert in your field far better than noisy sites like Twitter and Facebook can.

You don't know what to say?

Finding content is one of the biggest complaints I hear from Publicity Hounds. But once you know about shortcuts like creating Google Alerts and checking them each day for topics you can write about, you'll have more content than you'll ever need. That's what I do.

Nobody's commenting at your blog?

It could be because your content isn't compelling. Or perhaps you aren't feeding your blog into sites like Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, where thousands more people can share your information with friends, followers and fans. Or maybe you aren't ending your posts with questions like "Am I wrong?" or "What's your take?" or "Share your best tip here and let's see how long a list we can create."

Results of my customer profile survey earlier this year show many Publicity Hounds are hungry for time-saving tips on how to blog. So I asked Patsi Krakoff of The Blog Squad to join me for a teleseminar at 4 p.m. Eastern Time on Wednesday, Jan. 13, called "Time-saving Tips for Smart Business Blogging."

Make 2010 the year you finally commit to a blog and build in efficiencies that will make the job go faster. Read more about what you'll learn and register.

No comments: