Wednesday, May 14, 2008

May: National Revise Your Work Schedule Month

Being a WAHM, my work schedule definitely doesn’t fall into the traditional 9 a.m. – 5 pm. routine.

I’m up at 3:15 a.m.
Work until about 5:30 a.m. and then get hubby up and help him get ready for his day.
Daughter usually wakes up around 6 a.m.

Back to work around 10 a.m. when daughter goes down for a nap.

Work until about noon.

Back on the computer around 6 p.m. for final email checks and tie up any remaining work.

I’ve never liked the structure of having to stay at a job until a certain time. I always preferred to get to work early and leave early.

In high school I worked at a steak booth at the local Renaissance Faire. I loved being the first one at the booth and getting the kitchen set up for the day. Because of this, I was always the first to get to go home.

At the PR agency, I was always the first to arrive - usually an hour before anyone else. I would bring in the newspapers, make coffee and have a quiet start to my day. Everyone else would stay late at the office. I would leave promptly at 5:30 when the office hours were closed. Co-workers would say, “You leave early.”

“No, I leave on time.”

Working out and family time was more important to me then staying late at the office.

So, in honor of National Revise Your Work Schedule Month, I celebrate and appreciate being able to work from home where I can work when my daughter is asleep and when she’s awake, go for walks, soothe her cries, play chase and read books.

No comments: