Friday, October 1, 2010

Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk


Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk

A client suggested this marketing book, so I figured I'd better read it.
It's been well over a year since I've read any marketing books. Since I work by myself from home, I don't get to learn from other professionals as often as I would if I worked in an office setting. I always appreciate reading good, inspirational marketing books.

Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk was very inspirational!

I've already suggested the book to many of my clients.

He basically explains how to build your brand using the power of social media.

He has emphasized a concept I've tried suggesting to my clients in the past. While I'm the "social media editor" (cool term he used to describe folks like me) for my clients, and my industry articles and perspectives are important and beneficial, they can only go so far. It's even more beneficial for clients to get into their social media accounts and post inside information as well.

Here's how Vaynerchuk explains this point:

"My business already has a Twitter account and a Facebook page, we’re set in the social media department.

This is the equivalent of claiming twenty years ago that just because your business bought a TV spot and a few ads in the newspaper, you didn’t need to pay attention to your advertising department. Social media isn’t about joining in, it’s about being involved."

Share your surgery schedule, share birthday photos of staff members, share what your diet coordinator is eating for lunch, share what your dental staff gives out at Halloween, share the exercise techniques of your cosmetic surgery staff, share your experiences during a hair training class.

A cool point about blogs from the book, "A website is for communicating logistics and facilitating sales; your blog is for communicating the essence of your brand. It allows you to expand your topic in ways that a static website simply can't.

Vaynerchuk gives a step-by-step marketing strategy that is easy to follow and will help readers "Crush It."

From the Amazon link:

Learn: Why social media has evened the playing field, destroying the “gate-keepers” who had previously dictated the distribution of content.

Learn: How to beat unemployment and create wealth-building opportunities by building and maintaining a personal brand.

Learn: Why storytelling is the most important business concept in the current marketplace.

Learn: How you can build an online business around your passion without quitting your day job.

Learn: Why Twitter and Facebook are just tools and not a social media strategy.

Learn: How to take advantage of the half-billion dollars in advertising that are moving to the internet.

Learn: Why transparency and being true to yourself are now winning marketing formulas.

Learn: How to build and maintain an online community around your passion and brand.

Learn: Strategies for turning attention into money.

Learn: Why the legacy element of the internet era is so underrated.

No comments: